Question
Posted by: ANON | 2007/08/08

CROWS FEET

Dear Doc

I am 40yrs old and have deep wrinkles/crow feet and dark circles under my eyes and i desperately need advice on how to get rid of it. I would like to know what procedure u could suggest for me and what price range will i be looking at. Desperately awaiting your reply

Kind Regards
Anon

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Dear ‘ANON’, thank you for the question.

Firstly, I must mention that it is difficult to give advice on a treatment without assessing the area concerned with a consultation and examination. However, it seems that you are describing two areas of concern and I will address both of them.
The recommended treatment for the crow’s feet area is usually Botox or combination Botox and a filler. My approach here would be to try the Botox first and if the ‘smoothing out’ of these wrinkles are not enough then one can add a filler to the treatment regime.

There are two possibilities (alone or in combination) for the dark circles that you have noticed:

1. A groove below the lower eyelid develops as a result of a small pocket of fat that ‘drops’ allowing for what is known as the shadow effect and for the skin to lie closer to a venous plexus increasing the darkness noted.
2. Hemoglobin may ‘leak’ out of the venous plexus and sit in the skin increasing the darkness noted.

My first approach would be to use a filler (Restylane, Juvederm 24, or fat) in the infra-orbital area, as this would lift the skin out of the groove and away from the venous plexus. This will have the added benefit of removing the tired look and giving the eye area a youthful and refreshed appearance. In some cases this may be enough to treat and correct the problem completely, but, if there is also hemoglobin one needs to use a topical product to allow the breakdown of this pigment (hemoglobin) – Cernor XO.
One should always remember to use a good SPF and eye cream to maintain the areas treated.
Prices will vary from doctor to doctor, but you should expect to pay between R1100.00 to R1500.00 for the Botox (depending on the dosage used), and this will need to be repeated every 3 to 4 months. Similarly, the prices for fillers vary, and here the price is dependent on what filler is used. One could pay between R2500.00 to R3000.00, however, this will only be repeated yearly (Restylane and Juvederm 24).
I hope that this has answered your question and you are welcome to contact my office (If you live in Cape Town) at (021) 797 0960 for a consultation and to discuss the various treatment options.

1
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/08/10

Thank you Doc, I will most definitely be contacting your office soon.

Kind Regards
Anon

Reply to Desperate