Question
Posted by: Gemeni | 2004/10/07

Cronic fatigue syndrome

Hi Cyber Doc, thank you for your advice, Im shure most of us appreciate it.

About 7 months ago I was diagnosed with Epstein barr virus, the symptoms subsided after consulting my GP, after frequent visits, anti biotics, vitamin boosters and anti depressants, Im am still run down, depressed and unmotivated.

This has had a detrimental effect on my family, social and love life.

Will these after affects eventually cease, or is there alternative methods to solve this problem?

Could it also be a mental problem?

I would appreciate your advice dearly.

Gemeni, if it is due to the EB virus it should clear up by itself. The symptoms might be due depression (like you said), thyroid problems, sugar problems and even low blood pressure. It is now recommended that a whole battery of tests be done. These tests include a full blood count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, ALT, total protein, albumin, alkaline phosphatase, calcium, phosphate, glucose, blood urea nitrogen, electrolytes, thyroid stimulating hormone and a urinalysis. If all these tests come up negative, the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome is made and reviewed every 6 months. The bad news is that no treatment has been proven to be 100% effective, but the good news is that full recovery is eventually possible in almost all cases.
The best would be to see a specialist physician because these days the experts believe that the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome is used as a “waste basket” diagnosis and that a lot of people are diagnosed with it due to a lack of insight/knowledge on the doctor’s part. Nobody doubts that some people suffer from fatigue after a viral infection; it’s just that the incidence seems to be much lower than what was originally thought. When it comes to suffering from this problem for longer than 6 months, the incidence is even lower. Good luck.