Question
Posted by: Boo | 2008/05/22

crohns disease, depression and anorexia

Hi.
I am a 29 year old woman, who has had crohns disease for the past 6 years. The disease was extremely active and aggressive for approximately 3 years, and I was at a very dark place in my life. Luckily for me, a new trial drug came out, and turned my life around. I could work again, and got my life back.
Unfortunately, the disease has become aggressive again during the last 3 or so months. I have become incredibly depressed, to the point of wanting to kill myself, and I am terrified that I am also developing an eating disorder. Since crohns causes such pain when I eat, I do my best to avoid eating much, and my weight has dropped drastically. I have also gotten to the point where I just don't care about what happens to me, but I am not so far yet that I can't send out a call for help... so this is it... What can I do to change things?

As you well know, these siuations can become complex. Having something like Crohns is depressing, and depression may help to worsen Crohns, and to amplify its already unpleasant symptoms. SO treating the Depression can help overall. DO arrange, as soon as possible, to see a good local psychiatrist for an assessment, as well as a good dietician to plan a healthy diet that will suit your Crohns and you, without leading to distortion of your health by excessive weight-loss, etc. And CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) as a treatment approach, can really help you to learn better ways to adapt to life with a chronic disorder.

5
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/12

diet, diaree, constipation

Posted by: jay | 2008/07/04

Revelex worked wonders for my crohns for a few months, but I also experienced a flare-up a few months down the line. Boo, what is the name of the new trial drug for crohns and where is it available?

Reply to jay
Posted by: Boo | 2008/05/22

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.
I've tried infliximab, the first infusion worked, then unfortunately it stopped being effective.
I'm already on a new trial drug for crohns, and it worked wonders. I think the major complication here is that my stress levels have drastically increased, not only work related stress, but emotional stress, financial stress etc etc too. I think this flare is a result of my body just not being able to cope anymore.
I think that I should perhaps try to talk to a psychologist and a dietitian. I'm just so scared of losing control completely... I mean, the other night I was even contemplating suicide, I had a box of stilnox, a bottle of amarula, and a knife against my stomach... I started to cut, then realised what I was doing...
Thank you guys. Knowing that people understand helps.

Reply to Boo
Posted by: David | 2008/05/22

Boo ask your doctor to try you on Revelex (infliximab), it's an infusion and lasts about 4 hours.

All the best Boo.

Reply to David
Posted by: Urlinac | 2008/05/22

Hi Boo

I'm really sorry for what you are going through with your condition. I am a CRA by proffession and have recently have been involved with a new study about Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. I don't know if i can help but i can maybe refer you to a doctor who will be participating in the trial and maybe you will get help. I don't know if it will be ok for you but i understand the pain you are going through. Hope everything gets better.

Reply to Urlinac