Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2003/01/15

Crohns Disease and Excercise

Hello,

I have Crohns which has recently become active again. I'm finding that my regular excercise routine or aerobics and weights is not working for me. The reason (I think) is that my joints have been adversely effected by this attack. Arthritis is a common side effect of Crohns. What would you suggest as an alternative excercise routine as I don't want to stop excercise completely, but am left in pain and discomfort after an excercise session.

Hi Shelley

How about aqua-aerobics? Exercise certainly helps arthritis, as it helps to keep the joints lubricated as well as improving joint flexibility and strength, and protects joints against further damage. It also improves your coordination and your endurance.
From a psychological perspective, exercise also leads to more positive mood states as well as an improved sense of self-esteem and a sense of accomplishment.

I suggest you try to exercise when the joints are not inflamed.

Why not visit www.arthritis.org for some great articles about water aerobics and other motivational material.

I hope this works out.