Question
Posted by: DEE | 2008/01/16

CROHNS

AFTER HAVING BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIVERTICULITIS , I BECAME VERY ILL AND ENDED UP HAVING MAJOR SURGERY ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT IT IS CHRONS DESEASE.AFTER SEEING A GASTOENTEROLOGIST I AM CONFIDENT THAT THEY HAVE THE CORRECT DIAGNOSIS-I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO AND I WOULD ALSO APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A GUIDE AS TO FOODS FOR THIS CONDITION.I AM CURRENTLY DRINKING PEPTAMEN AS I HAVE A FISTULA , I WAS TOLD I COULD EAT MEALS BUT AM UNSURE WHAT TO EAT

Dear Dee
In diverticulitis the little pouches or diverticles in the digestive tract become inflamed, while in Crohn's disease any part of the digestive tract can become highly inflamed and irritated. Of the two conditions, Crohn's is much more serious and requires surgery more often than diverticulitis. Because of the seriousness of your condition and your fistula, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). To read more about these conditions click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do Search with 'Diverticulitis' and 'Crohn's disease' as I have written articles on the dietary aspects of both conditions.

1
Posted by: Thea | 2009/01/19

Please give me gide lines for a diet on crohn' s disease.

Reply to Thea