Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2007/03/21

Crohn's Syndrome

I have been dignosed with Vit B12 neoropathy (and am being treated by a neurologist at Grey's Hispital in PMB. for that. I have a monthly injection of B12 plus one folic acid tablet per day. In addition, I often have acute attacks of diarhhorea, always in the late night hours, interspersed with chronic constipation. When I have the acute diarhhorea attacks, i suffer from a pain in my right lower abdomen that goes away one my bowel is empty. I sometimes have such painful cramps that I come close to fainting and these attacks go on for about 3 to 4 hours at night. In between the attacks, my abdomen is very bloated and also extremely uncomfortable a few hours after meals. I have spent a week in hospital having genetic tests, blood tests, an MRI and lumbar puncture but nothing indicated why I have this neuropathy. I have recently also had a colonoscopy but all was clear, up to my ileum (he camera could not get beyond that point). Could I have Crohn's Syndrome, by any chance?

Dear Cherry
they would have seen this with the colonoscopy - I don't think so. The problem could lie higher up like a deodenal diverticulum or it could be caused by bile acids. I think you should have a barium follow through x/ray test to just ensure that there is no problem in the upper part of the bowel too. Try colofac for the cramping and diarrhoea as well as a hot water bottle on the tummy ( don't make too hot)