Question
Posted by: Just thinking | 2003/03/06

Cricket is such an easy game.

I have just the article regarding the leadership of Pollock and IF ONLY Boucher had made one more run, as if he tried is level best not to score of the last ball he faced. There are many what if's but what if he had tried to hit another 4 or 6 and gone out, so you can't say how was he thinking that 229 was enough. If you have played the game you are able to understand what pressure is facing and understand what needs to be done just to keep your wicket. Gibbs is the best example, he was matured into such a great opener BECAUSE he plays the balls on merit yet is prepared to take risks but that is early on when the pressure is not so great. When Hansie was removed as captain, Pollock was given the captaincy and NO ONE stood up and challenge for the position and management did not come forward in offering it to anyone else or try to understand how the senior member felt about their new captain. When Pollock was winning games week in and week out then his captaincy was never questioned, I did not see South African members (SABC, SA radio stations, newspapers, INTERNET WEB SITES or the general public giving Pollock mental support) in their news articles. Only now they are raising their thoughts. That is very selfish and narrow minded. South Africa had 15 players in the squad of which only 12 were on international quality, that just applies so much more pressure onto the senior players as well as the captain. Management must look at themselves more question anyone else, even the caption. Well tried Pollock and the boys.

Pollock has to earn our support, and no captain deserves to expect or receive uncritical and automatic support, irrespective of the mess they make of strategies, management and planing. Receiving uncritical, reflex, automatic support is a recipe for failure. I don't remember any period when Pollock was winning games --- I do remember a period when the team, including Pollock, was winnig games pretty often, and that was some time ago.
It seems clear that members of the team were misinformed about the scores needed, and the consequences of facing a further over, or of losng a further wicket.
I dont understand why the shifting target dictated by the Duckworth / Lewis formulae shouldnt be displayed openly on the score-board --- it shouldn't be a secret. In any ordinary game, every player knows exactly what is needed to win ; when the weather changes the game into an unpredictable set of shifting targets, every player deserves to receive exactly the same, accurate information about the precise target at each stage and in every eventuality. Oherwise, if just ain't cricket.

3
Posted by: hester bester | 2003/03/07

theresa, my but you don't beat around the bush, do you? i tend to disagree with you. shaun pollock is one of the best captains we've had so far, in my opinion. besides, it's not the captain who wins the game, its the whole team that has to work together. how can you blame the captain for a team failing to do the job? sure enough, the captain is there to motivate the team as well as lead them, but how can he lead a group of grown men when they can't even lead themselves? we have a lot of very talented players, but none of them were able to achieve the levels of performance we know they are capable of? even jonty, one of our best all-rounders, couldn't make the mark... then i'm not talking about kallis, or even gary kirsten. during every game it came down to klusener trying to drag us out of the mud to safety. my personal opinion is that if you want to play like idiots, you have to be willing to lose like idiots... but don't blame only the captain, as he is only part of the bigger picture...

Reply to hester bester
Posted by: Theresa | 2003/03/07

England didn't qualify and Hussein fell on his sword - Polly's recent leadership MUST play a role in our woeful and pathetic efforts.

Polly must go. His time is over.

Reply to Theresa
Posted by: Huh | 2003/03/06

So in what way must the Shrink help you??

Just wondering...

Reply to Huh