Question
Posted by: SmallPaul | 2008/02/04

Cricket

I'm an aspiring cricketer, amongst other things, in my early twenties. I've only bowled one over for the A-team (at school) and if I remember correctly I got taken off for not bowling to the
(leg-side!) field. I think I had a pretty decent bowling action, but never had the muscle to go behind it as I'm not really that much of a 'natural' athlete. I could however outrun most of the forwards from the rugby team and usually finished second in my heat in the 100m sprint. My question is whether building muscle and working hard on flexibility could improve my fast bowling pace substantially. I'm looking for a lean, well but not too well defined, slightly bigger build.

hi Paul

There's not too much reason, at this early stage, to go overboard on strength training. The one thing it might do is help prevent injuries, but that's another matter entirely, and would require that you do some gym work. But it's not a case of building muscle - look at the best fast bowlers - Lee, Steyn, even a guy like Allan Donald, were not big, muscular guys. Strong yes, but not muscular. So my advice is that you spend time first working on a bowling action that is smooth, efficient and above all, effective. Once that's done, then you can start to look at things like strength and flexibility and how they might improve bowling. But you don't need to be a big, strong, muscular guy to bowl fast or well, just work on the technique to begin with, and the rest can come later.

GOod luck

1
Posted by: a | 2008/02/06

you need to do alot of core exercises + legs
Most of your strength will come from legs & strong core

Reply to a