Posted by: Lisa | 2009/02/20

creche hygiene

Dear Mam

My son is in a creche in the Durban area. He and some of the other children in the creche are developing respiratory problems in particular an allery for dust.
The creche looks very clean and tidy. But my suspicion is that they are cleaning and sweeping etc. the place in presence on the children. When I brought up these concerns with principal, there no actual acknowledgement of a problem. I' m really worried about this.

Please advice as to how I can approach this problem . Also, how can I check if creche is a registered facility. Are ther any officials that check up creches.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

The respiratory problems could be caused or worsened by allergens in dust, but you would need to have your son see his doctor to make sure this is the cause or whether it is something else - respiratory problems have many possible causes. Respiratory infections in small children are also common, and especially in children who attend creches. Encourage the other parents to do the same, and stay in communication with them.

Dust and dirt can worsen respiratory problems, but in fact even clean premises can still contain enough dust to trigger a reaction in someone who has a dust allergy. For that reason I'm not convinced dust is the problem.

Cleaning, especially with cleaning chemicals, should preferably not take place in a room while children are present.

A creche must be registered with the Department of Social Development; the number they have given me for the Durban office is 031 336 8704. Any registered creche should have regular inspections, including environmental health inspections. The principal of the creche should also be prepared to give you information about when the last inspection was done, and when cleaning is done i.e. is it done with the kids present?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.