Question
Posted by: GeorgeFP85 | 2009/10/19

Creating muscle definition...Stagnating?

Hello, I am a 24 year old male with a weight of 73kg' s. I am 1.8m tall and have a body fat percentage of 13.8% (down from 18.8%). I have been going to the gym on a regular basis 3 times a week since March in order to loose some excess weight and to build and define muscle. I have lost some weight and cm' s and have seen some definition, but it seems that I have now started to stagnate...I watch what I eat, but I do let go a bit on weekends. I do the super circuit at the gym which involves cardio and weight training - and I am absolutely dead tired when I finish the 35min session so I' m getting a great workout. I didn' t always do the circuit, but started out with normal 20mins cardio and 40mins weight training. I switched over to the circuit mainly because I was in need of a change and because of time constraints. I have seen better results since doing the circuit, but as I said I have started to stagnate...
Some help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Hi George

This kind of problem is often intensity related. If you're feeling that you're stagnating both in fitness/strength and definition, then you're pretty close to the answer. You need to look at what you do in the gym, and probably look at increasing the volume and intensity of the training. For example, if you're currently doing 12 reps at say 40kg, then you might want to try 8 reps at 55kg, and on some days 15 reps at 40kg, to give your body that training stimulus that will cause adaptation.

That would be the main point of attack - look at taking your fitness and strength to the next level, and the definition will take care of itself.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/27

Hi George

Reply to fitnessdoc