Question
Posted by: Joe | 2003/02/26

Creatine/Carbohydrates Supplements

I am a male, 24 years old, I started gym about 8 months back been at it at least 3 times a week for a solid hour. I have not noticed a major difference in my body size, still very much the same.
1.I wanna start taking supplements to help, what are the Side Effects of Creatine and Carbohydrate Supplements???
2.Do these things really help??

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi Joe

Carbohydrate supplements are usually used to carbo-load before an endurance event (eg a marathon). On a day to day basis, with normal training loads, you should be able to get sufficient carbohydrates from your diet. I suggest you write to Dietdoc, to ask her how you can increase your carbohydrate intake with food rather than wasting money on supplements.

There is data that suggests that creatine supplementation enhances physiological adaptations to resistance training, probably by being able to train more intensely. However, much of this research has been laboratory-based. Re side effects, anecdotally, creatine could cause gastrointestinal distress, nausea and cramping. Studies on long-term side effects have not been published. There is some concern about long-term effects on the kidneys.

If it were me, I would rather continue training optimally, eating optimally, letting my body develop naturally. I would rather spend the money seeing an expert who could optimsise my training programme, since this only has positive side effects. However, you are the one who has to weigh up the pros and cons. I suggest you do a search on this website for further views on creatine, since I'm sure they have several articles archived on this topic.

Good luck with your decision.

2
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/03/01

The most difficult part in tranforming your body is the diet, not the gym! I guess it's 60% diet, 20% gym, and 20% determination. Whole foods are best, but the reality is in the modern world you can't get sufficient quality foods (most foods are too processed and refined) in sufficient quantity hence the need for supplementation. Then there's the convenience factor. You need to eat six small meals a day and unless you don't work I can't see how you can do this without supplementation. Supplementation is not a waste - it's the easiest (not the only) way if you want to make a real difference in a reasonably short time. Don't bother with DietDoc, read her advice and you'll she has no idea about diets (correct eating programmes) for sportsmen, (or it seems like it!). If you can afford it see a sports diet person after checking their credentials - don't be shy to ask. Otherwise search the Internet. IMHO, the Body -For Life programme and diet is about as close to correct as you'll get without spending a whole lot of money. I have NO affiliation to Body for Life by the way!

Reply to Ma'at
Posted by: BFL-Freak | 2003/02/27

It largly depends what you want to achieve - Carbs should be used but not BEFORE if you want to loose weight. or an hour after. If you want to increase muscle weight - use Proteins. Load on creatine - it will help you increase power and you will be able to train more intensely.

Rather buy Protein powder than Carbs - Carbs are everywhere (in foods) we tend to overload on carbs. Optiomally your diet should be 40% Crabs, 40% Protein and 20% Fat.

You should have seen a BIG differance in your body by know remember training is only about 1/3 of it... eating and attitude the rest

best of luck!

Reply to BFL-Freak