Question
Posted by: chrissy | 2004/10/15

creatine used with the atkins diet.

pls tell me what the pro's and cons would be of using creatine while following the atkins diet programm. i am a 24 year old female and i have quite a lot of body fat. i also do +/- 1 hr of aerobic excersises 3 times per week. my body fat % is especially high around the mid section so i do additional sit-ups. i am not on the diet and creatine yet. pls! pls! advise.

big thankyou!!!!

Dear Chrissy
I am totally opposed to these high-protein, high-fat diets and creation of ketosis to lose weight. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'Diet Detective' and read the article on the Atkins Diet. The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. Please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal (so eat popcorn and other carbs) to supply you with fibre and readily available energy. I also don't think that you need to use creatine as this is of more use to elite athletes who train very hard. It can cause water retention which you may find troublesome. Rather use a balanced low-fat, high-fibre diet and do your exercises to achieve your goals.
Take care

2
Posted by: Atkins supporter | 2004/10/18

Just to say, don't give up on Atkins. Don't listen to everyone, everybody has an opinion. Check out the carbos in the creatine and judge for yourself. If you have the Atkins book and is well read, then you should know.

Reply to Atkins supporter
Posted by: john | 2004/10/16

For some actually useful information about low-carb diets, see www (dot) theomnivore.com or www (dot) mercola.com

Low-carb diets are not suitable for everyone. Some people do best on a diet of up to 80% carbs. However, those aren't the ones who have a weight problem, unless it's being under weight.

About 20% of people require a low-carb (high protein and fat) diet for optimum functioning. Most overweight people are in this category. Anyone with hyperinsulinaemia (metabolic syndrome) is likely to do well on a low-carb diet.

If you're in the middle group (mixed type) then the low-glycemic approach will probably work well for you.

We should all avoid grains and sugars because they are almost totally devoid of essential nutrients and because the human metabolism is not adapted to processing them.

The claim that high-protein diets are "dangerous" is a highly specious one, and the popular myth that consuming saturated fats causes heart disease is not supported by the research. In fact, it is the increase in consumption of vegetable oils, especially margarine that has caused the epidemic of coronary heart disease. This is because of the unbalance caused between omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. The modern diet contains far too much omega-6 fatty acids.

Reply to john