Question
Posted by: Simon | 2002/12/20

Creatine overdose?

Seems like the fitness doc is not at home, but here goes anyway. I am currently on creatine for the first time and looking good. I have trained hard for 9 months, but I now have extreme pain in my forearms when I do an bi-cep training. Is it the creatine? Is it the weight training?
How long should I stay on creatine? Month on month off??

Hi Simon

I doubt that it's the creatine, and suspect it is more likely related to straining the biceps muscle in your training. Rest the muscle for a few days and build up again, when pain-free.
With regard to creatine supplementation, long term studies on the effects of creatine have not been done, but there are short term studies which suggest that it could cause negative side-effects long-term.

Therefore, personally, I would prefer to achieve what I could naturally, ie excellent training programme and optimal diet rather than spending money continously on a supplement which could potentially be harming me.

The choice is yours, but do a search on creatine on this website, since there are some interesting articles archived which include some comments from Prof Tim Noakes.

Good luck with your training.