Question
Posted by: brendona | 2005/11/24

Creatine???

I am a 15 year old male who is currently taking EAS's betagen HP which contains Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine and Calcium HMB (more info is avalable on eas-sa.com [active repair]) as its main ingedients. what i want to know is it ok for me to be taking this as i know that my body is different to that of an adult and that no long term studies on teens have been done on creatine.
I eat a balanced diet of 10-12 glasses of water and 6 meals a day containing Carbs, Protien and Fats and three portions of veggies a day.
I also go to gym every morning except for saturday. I do one day weights, one day cardio and so on and so forth.

I really don't think that you should be taking this supplement. I don't believe that it has any positive benefits, and can only affect your development negatively. This is the case even for adults, and even more for you as a 15 year old. You are still growing and so now as you take this sort of supplement, you affect muscle growth (which is obviously the desired effect), but unfortunately, this puts undue strain on joints and ligaments. Or at least, that's the one theory. I must confess that I don't know of any specific research that has ever looked at this.

But the more important issue is the supplement one. The thing about supplements is that they are never fully tested for side-effects or effectiveness, and so they are unknown with regards to the long-term effects. The other problem that affects the muscle gain supplements is contamination, because there is no strict control of what gets put inside these products, and so there are cases of contamination. In the more well established brands, this is less of a problem but there are still risks associated. Basically, I would not recommend a product like this unless you are absolutely sure that you have exhausted all your options regarding training and diet first, which is very rarely the case. It's especially not the case for you, because you are still growing and so if you just keep training, and keep growing (which you obviously will do), then you will have no problem at all seeing progress in the coming months.

1
Posted by: Eben | 2005/11/28

Doc
I am using Muscle Fuel due to my lack of gaining sufficient weight. My metobolism is very high and the USN Muscle Fuel I use really assist me in gaining appropriate weight. My concern is whether this Protein enhancer is doing anything negatively to my body? I am actually feeling great. The cost involved is not always easy, but as I do not drink this I loose weight drastically. I am 30 years old and normal weight is 69 when I drink USN I am normally 78-80kg. Please advise thank you so much!

Reply to Eben