Question
Posted by: Leonie | 2003/02/07

Creatine

My son wants to use this substance to help build muscle. Please can you give me some info about it. Is it a drug, how does it work, etc.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Leonie

There is data that suggests that creatine supplementation enhances physiological adaptations to resistance training, probably by being able to train more intensely. However, much of this research has been laboratory-based. Re side effects, anecdotally, creatine could cause gastrointestinal distress, nausea and cramping. Studies on long-term side effects have not been published. There is some concern about long-term effects on the kidneys.

If it were me, I would rather continue training optimally, eating optimally, letting my body develop naturally. But, you are the one who has to weigh up the pros and cons. I also suggest you do a search on this website for further views on creatine, since I'm sure they have several articles archived on this topic.

I hope this helps your son.