Question
Posted by: MrBig | 2003/01/14

Creatine

Hi, I'm exercising in the gym and are on weight training. I want to define and enlarge my muscles. I'm already doing this the past year and a half with good results. However I'm not using any substitutes etc. The creatine debate is going on for some time now. I know guys using it build very quick and double that our normal oaks do. What is your view on using creatine. Will it really help, is it worth the risk or is their no risk involved really. Thanx

There is data that suggests that creatine supplementation enhances physiological adaptations to resistance training, probably by being able to train more intensely. However, much of this research has been laboratory-based. Re side effects, anecdotally, creatine could cause gastrointestinal distress, nausea and cramping. Studies on long-term side effects have not been published. There is some concern about long-term effects on the kidneys.

If it were me, I would rather continue training optimally, eating optimally, letting my body develop naturally. You say you have developed well in the past 18 months - then perhaps continue with the training programme and save yourself money and possible risks. But, you are the one who has to weigh up the pros and cons. I also suggest y0ou do a search on this website for further views on creatine, since I'm sure they have several articles archived on this topic.

Good luck with your decision.