Question
Posted by: sarah | 2008/08/05

cream

Hi doctor I saw a cream that sold by clarins and it has a spf of 20 i think the sunscreen in there however not sure has oxybenzone can i use it as i will use it on the inside of my thighs and underams. the cream is from there bright plus range and it is a lightening product. the parts mentions is darker due to me being fat thru my childhood I think

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sarah, thank you for the question.

Unfortunately, oxybenzone has been shown to become photo sensitized (activated by the sun) and lead to DNA mutations with increased free radical damage. If the areas you are applying the cream will be exposed to the sun in any way then my advice would be not to use it.

There are a number of other options you could use to ‘lighten’ the areas of concern. The following ingredients have been shown to help with pigmentation:
SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
Glycolic acid, Kojic acid, Lactic acid, Mandelic acid and Citric acid
Vitamin A or pro-vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin C or ascorbic acid
Licorice extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra), Mulberry Root extract (Morus Bombycis), and Bearberry extract (Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi)
Arbutin and Arginine
All of the above ingredients can be found in NeoStrata’s range of Depigmenting products (Brightening Cream SPF 15 & Pigment Lightening Cream).