Question
Posted by: Gay Afrikaner | 2005/11/23

Crazy

Hi everyone - it seems that the crazy season has already started on our forum, take a look at this nasty little tit-bit of junk mail that was posted in response to # 461from some twisted individual who's stuck in the year 1924. I did a cut & paste so here it is...

Subject: RE: wonder net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Wonder net
Message:
Sies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dalk moet julle tyd spandeer om Afrikaans te leer praat en verstaan en minder bekommerd wees oor seks. Daar is mos baie meer betekenisvolle dinge in die lewe. Dit lyk vir my dat julle voel almal is uit om julle te kry. Sjoe soveel pyn en haat. Laat my wonder.

EK IS TROTS AFRIKAANS.
Date: 23/11/2005

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Crazy and thanks for highlighting this message from WonderNet - I deleted another little toxic posting from WonderNet this morning which was blatantly homoprejudiced. The current posting is about language and for that reason I decided not to delete it - we need to resolve the issue of Afrikaans on our forum once and for all (see my responses to previous posts #459 and #461, and especially #443).

We have eleven official languages in South Africa. If we encourage Afrikaans we need to allow equally for Isizulu, Isixhosa, Tshivenda, Xitsinga, Sesotho, Siswati, Setswana, Sepedi and IsiNdebele - which is simply not feasible. If we expect people speaking these languages to post in English we can surely expect Afrikaans-speaking people to post in English as well. I am not in any way discriminating against Afrikaans, but this forum will not tolerate discrimination against any of the other official languages mentioned above.

We may not share a common language but we have something else more significant in common - we're a minority group because of sexual orientation issues. Surely that is more important, and the very reason for this forum's existence, than our diversity of language.

This is an English-medium forum and while I am associated with it I will not encourage Afrikaans and will expect everyone to at least attempt to express themselves in English. Disrespectful visitors, such as WonderNet, are not welcome here unless they show due regard for other languages, in the same manner that we expect regard for our sexual orientation.

8
Posted by: Valkyrie | 2005/11/30

Hey.........guys and dolls.............look up..........what do you see. One sun and can you believe it.......it shines on Afrikaans, English, Zulu, Tsonga, Venda as a matter of on each and everyone on the EARTH. What is it with us, we must stop this fickle attitude of if someone just trods on a toe we are in fighting mood. Afrikaanse poppie, hou jou sokkies aan. Ek is net so trots om Afrikaans te wees maar ek gun die son oor almal skyn. Die mens is 'n aanpasbare wese....so kom ons pas aan bymekaar.

Reply to Valkyrie
Posted by: VC | 2005/11/29

Julie, you know what ??? I WILL IGNORE EVERY SINGLE POST OF YOURS......K? SNOBBY ENGLISH ROSE!!

Reply to VC
Posted by: Corne | 2005/11/24

So true, you made me think a lot about this and I agree

Reply to Corne
Posted by: Julie | 2005/11/24

Hey guys, just ignore all posts that aren't in English?

Reply to Julie
Posted by: Brad | 2005/11/24

Great stuff!

Reply to Brad
Posted by: Jenny | 2005/11/24

Wow - moving words - I fully support you.

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: Admirer | 2005/11/24

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO, s t a n d i n g a p p l a u s e !!!! I have suddenly become a HUGE fan of this forum!!! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO well done and THANK YOU for standing up for a basic principle of accessability to the majority of LGBT people in South Africa, I cannot thank you enough for being prepared to take a stand, you've dragged us back to the year 2005 and I commend you for being so direct in your response, there is hope for us yet, I am truly moved by your statement and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

SURELY, in this day and age and in our current social and political climate, every reasonable-minded South African citizen will agree with you, especially people who for generations have been discriminated against. Some people may choose to ignore the fact that Afrikaans represents the language of oppression and some people may choose to ignore the fact that the primary international language is English. Beingt gay is often presented as "non-African" and Afrikanner nationalsim on a gay forum really reinforces that view.

Significantly, it was a STRAIGHT Afrikaner nationalist, homophobic de lux, who caused all the fuss.

Guys and sisters, as the Xpert stated, we're here because of our sexual orientation and not our language. En ek, as n volle Afrikaner, stem volkome saam. Vandag voel ek trots om hier te wees.

Well done to everyone, this is a great place to be, let us keep it that way and grow from strength to strength.

Love to you all.

Reply to Admirer

Surely this is a sick joke?