Question
Posted by: joane | 2004/03/11

Cravings

I have enormous cravings for sweets, any kind chocolates, boiled sweets, cookies, cakes anything as long as it is sweet, and you can eat it. I have a healthy lifestyle, and I do not eat a lot of sugar, because I suffers from constipation. What do you suggest? To much sugar makes me very tired, and the more fruit I eat, the more I crave sweets!!

Dear Joane
These cravings may be due to your body needing more carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Try to include a food with a low-GI at each meal and also increase your high-fibre carbs so that you obtain sufficient energy for your daily requirements. If you are constipated, please read my reply below to Toby which deals with this problem. It may also be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian because you may be suffering from hypoglycaemia and need to have a special diet worked out for you. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area.

1
Posted by: x | 2004/03/11

Hi I found when I took an extra calcium / magnesium vitamin it helped with the cravings

Reply to x