Question
Posted by: Mariane | 2007/07/27

Craving for food in vinegar and lemons

Why do I have this craving for beetroot in vinegar, pineapple chuncks is sauce and will drink glasses of lemon and mint colddrinks ? The vinegar and the pineapple sauce will be finished before the beetroot and the pineapples.

Dear Mariane
Cravings can either be an indication of an underlying problem that changes your taste perceptions or learned habits. If these cravings persist or become more pronounced then it is a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if there is an underlying condition that has changed your taste perception. To change these habits try to gradually reduce how much of each food/beverage you consume so that you can re-educated your taste buds. Basically the beetroot, pineapple, lemon and mint are not harmful and can be quite nutritious (esp the beetroot which is rich in protective phytonutrients), except that the high acid content of these products can damage your tooth enamel. Always rinse your mouth or brush your teeth after eating or drinking these acid foods (this may also reduce your cravings, while protecting your tooth enamel).

2
Posted by: Snoeks | 2007/07/30

You're not alone!
I'm craving things that I don't normally eat or like -- sour GHERKINS and MARMITE. I sommer dip my finger into the Marmite jar and eat it straight out of the jar. Very weird. I never liked the taste of Marmite before. And I'm not even pregnant!

Reply to Snoeks
Posted by: ZIZI | 2007/07/27

That is what I would like to know myself as I eat lemons everyday for the past month and then I shower them with salt and this is not good for me as I am suffering from hypertension and are on medication for this but still crave the lemon and salt and it it like someone will eat chocolates.

Reply to ZIZI