Question
Posted by: Geegee | 2007/09/27

Craving and eating white chalk

My problem is that I have become addicted to eating white chalk. I eat it daily for a week or two and sometimes try and skip at least 10 days before starting again. I want to stop as it is becoming quite expensive. I try and limit myself to about 4 - 8 sticks of chalk a day. And I am very specific with the type of chalk as well, it should be Crayola - the one with calcium carbonate not those other types. I also know that this cannot be healthy at all. Also I love chillies and have found that I do not get heartburn like normal people and I believe it is because of all the chalk. Can this be? How do I stop my bad eating habits. What can happen if I continue eating this way?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I think you may have a medical condition called 'pica': this is a type of eating disorder, when a person feels a need to eat non-food substances. Different people with the condition eat different substances: some eat soil, some paper - and the list goes on. Chalk is in fact one of the commoner ones on the pica list. Previously on this forum, several people admitted to eating sponge/foam rubber.

There are several possible reasons why you have this condition, and you definitely need to see a doctor to find out the cause and to get treatment. Some people with pica are lacking a nutrient in their diet; but it may be caused by an underlying mental health problem.

You could see a GP about this, who could find out if you have a nutritional defficiency, and refer you to a psychologist or a psychiatrist if necessary.

Chalk (calcium carbonate) is generally considered to be non-toxic, but eating it is not advisable and it may result in the following problems: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhoea. The chalk from the dust may cause eye irritation, and isn't good for your lungs. Some kinds of chalk may contain toxic additives.

9
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/09

Don't eat chalk..it's really dangerous.. If u get addicted to it then it's very difficult to leave it

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/21

Hello i also have a very bad habit f eating chalk pieces but i w=m trying to avoid it & as i left for some period of time but after seeing to that i started eating again now i am getting chest pain also not able to brathe properly i think affected in my lungs so can yu please help to reduce the pain with some medicines or with the home remedies naturally so my pain gets reduce naturally without going to the doctor i m scared off to vist the hospital as no one knows at home that i have this stupid habitat to eat

Posted by: dandi1990 | 2016/06/15

You can buy chalk and clay http://chalkshop4.ru/

Reply to dandi1990
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/17

i have a problem of eating chalk since 6 years i dont know wt to do i h been addicted too much to it bt i am nt able to control it . i eat 1 chalk a day and am ery worried abt ths wt can b done fr this? pls tell me

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/11

I have somehow developed a funny craving of eating ceiling chalk. I started small and now I am eating it daily. I am worried this might not be healthy, please help

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/14

can eating chalk cause vaginal itching and irritation?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/24

Iam A Teenager And I Have A Problem With Eating Chalk Way Too Much && I Eat Chalk Every Time At School && I Don't Want To Eat Any Other Kind But White Chalk Only && I Really Wanna Stop Eating It Cause I Believe It Can Cause Problems For Me As Iam A Female && Only 16. . Please Help

Posted by: sidney paul brown | 2015/05/30

I love to watch women piss. I live at 4A GOWRIE COURT NARRABUNDAH ACT AaUSTRALIA. I come from an extremely violent family background. My mothetwas severly beaten if the house wasnt clean and tidy. I was subjected tosevere physical abuse by all members of my family.

Reply to sidney paul brown
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/12/04

Animals eat natural chalk, calcium and some other minerals deficiency. I’ve been eating chalk since school. But school board chalk got bad chemicals. Try this one, very tasty all natural. Just make sure not too much and with salad to avoid constipation. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221329637022&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123#ht_135wt_1276