Question
Posted by: Sandhir | 2005/07/28

Cramping in leg muscle while running

I go running quite regularly, and do about 4.3 km each day. I have recently been experiencing a problem with my left leg muscles while running. The left leg muscles on the outside of the tibia cramp up badly, and I find it difficult to run. Am I doing something wrong, and is there something I can do about it?

Thanks,
Sandhir.

Hi Sandhir

Usually, cramping is caused by fatigue in the muscles in question. HOwever, it sounds as though your situation is a little different. Your cramp seems to occur very early, and in a non-typical muscle, so I have a feeling it is slightly different from your normal cramping situation. It is difficult for me to say whether you perhaps have an injury, or whether there is some other problem, but I would suggest that you rest from running for 3 or 4 days, and in this time, stretch the calves very well, then go back to running and see what happens, whether it is better. If it is not, then I would suggest you see a phsyio or a doctor about it and seek their advice.

1
Posted by: Moose | 2005/08/02

Look at your shoes.Are they wearing evenly ?
Are your legs the same length ?
Past injuries more left leg ?
See a doc who is a runner/sportsman.

Reply to Moose