Question
Posted by: Alan | 2003/01/14

Cramping feet while cycling

When cycling either on the gym bikes or on the road, I get cramps in my feet. What could cause this and how do I fix it ? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi Alan

The exact reason for cramping, particularly in an area like your feet, is a bit of a mystery and beliefs that is due to salt imbalances or dehydration etc and proven to be unfounded. Some people have a predisposition to cramp in a certain muscle, so your best bet is to start a comprehensive "foot stretching" series every day.

There is convincing evidence that cramping is due to a neuromuscular problem i.e. the stretch reflex that normally prevents excessive muscle contraction ceases to function properly. If this is correct, then the best way to break this cycle is to stretch the cramping muscle, which you will need to do, if it cramps when cycling. However, hopefully by stretching the feet muscle daily, the cramping episodes will decrease in number.

I hope this helps.