Question
Posted by: Wena | 2006/04/12

Crabsticks

Dear Dietdoc,

Could you please tell me what crabsticks are made of? None of the packets (bought at Spar or PnP) gives any ingredient lists.

I not only would like to know from a nutritional point of view, but also need to know whether I could serve it to someone who is allergic to seafood/shellfish.

Thank you.

Dear Wena
As the name implies, crab sticks are made of crab. They use the smaller pieces of crab meat and compress these into a stick-like shape. You should under NO circumstances serve crab sticks to a person who is allergic to shellfish because crabs are shellfish like crawfish, etc.
Rather make another dish leaving out all fish if your guest is allergic to fish and shellfish - rather safe than sorry.

1
Posted by: Ronel | 2014/08/24

Is the starch you use in the crab sticks, potato starch or corn starch?

Reply to Ronel