Question
Posted by: WAYNEM | 2008/01/02

COXSACKIE VIRUS

My child is in a nursery school, her class teacher was diagnosed with coxsackie virus and even had lesions on her body. She continued to teach despite being aware of her infection. I took my child out of the school as internet research showed that although in most instances it only produces mild like flu symptoms, it can and has affected other parts of the body including heart muscles. We were assured by the headmistriss that it was not contagious but several doctors have given me conflicting information. From there was no way the teacher should have been allowed to be at school to there was no possibility of infection? Could you please advise?

Dear Waynem
Coxachie virus infections are contagious and spread by droplets and hand contact. The teacher should preferably not have teached especially if she had blisters as the fluid in the blisters contain high levels of the virus. See http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html
I think the school is misinformed - maybe you should print this article and give it to the headmistress?
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Sakkie | 2009/02/16

My wife has developed a very high fever last night and it has peaked every 4 to 6 hours. We were in a maleria area +- 3 weeks ago. we had her tested and the tests came out negative. any ideas?

Reply to Sakkie