Question
Posted by: Janine | 2004/10/05

Coxsackie Virus

One of my friends have just been diagnosed with the Coxsackie virus. Her main symptoms seem to be extreme fatigue, and chest pains, difficulty breathing.

I am a bit concerned since we are scheduled to go away with them this weekend and I don't know if this is contagious or not? Should I be worried? I have read that this spreads through oral-fecal contact. Her 2.5yo son is always scratching in his behind, picking up dog feces with his bare hands and refusing to wash his hands. Could this infection have come from him? I am worried that my daughter may become ill? i don't want to offend this friend or ostracise her but - as I said, I am worried.

Janine, the Coxsackie viruses are a group of viruses that cause a host of different diseases. They have been isolated from oral secretions, cerebrospinal fluid, blood and stool. They are divided in two groups namely A (23 types) and B (6 types).
Coxsackie viruses cause the following syndromes:
1. Aseptic meningitis.
2. Bornholm disease.
3. Bronchitis.
4. Conjunctivitis.
5. Gastroenteritis.
6. Hand-foot-and-mouth-disease.
7. Herpangina.
8. Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation).
9. Paralysis.
10. Pericarditis (heart sack inflammation).
11. Skin rashes.
As you can see, saying that you have Coxsackie virus doesn’t say much. Most infections will clear up by them selves and only supportive treatment is necessary. The problem is that if it becomes serious there is no specific treatment available and this might be a problem in small children.
I can’t tell you whether you should go away with them or not, but I can tell you that by the time your daughter has finished primary school she will test positive for quite a few of these viruses. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Cheryl | 2004/10/05

YES, it is contageous. My 1 year old daughter cought it from one of the toddlers at her day mother - don't take the chance with your children especially since your friends child has such filthy babits.

Reply to Cheryl