advertisement
Question
Posted by: Margie | 2004/01/21

Cow's Milk Allergy

My son who is 4 years old has twice tested positive for cow's milk allergy (blood test). He does not show any obvious signs of allergy except perhaps that when he hurts himself the sore takes quite long to heal - I am not even sure that this could be a symptom of allergy. Under these circumstances is it still advisable to keep him off dairy products altogether? He was diagnosed as asthmatic 2 years ago but hasn't had a chest cold for a fairly long time now. Many thanks for your help!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Margie
Slow wound healing is usually related to deficiencies in vit C, beta-carotene and zinc, not really to cow's milk allergy. I would think that the cow's milk allergy needs to be taken into account in relation to his asthma - discuss this with the dr who is treating him for the asthma. Children do grow out of certain allergies, so he may test negative the next time he has a test. To boost his immune system it may be a good idea for him to take a vitamin supplement such as Vidalin and to eat more fruit.
Best regards
DietDoc

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
Our users say:
Posted by: Cj | 2004/01/22

Hi there Margie

Allergies are extremely inherent in our family. My son, who is now 14yrs, was tested positive for lactose intolerance (including soya) at seven months, and did not consume any milk for approximately twelve years. In fact, Bretts' allergies were so bad that he did not grow for two years. His allergies include Coeliac's (spelling???) Disease - allergy to gluten, nuts, pork, all lactose, flavourants, colourants, additives. He also asthmatic and suffers from eczema. I found that even though Brett 's was limited, he could at least eat fresh food, fruit (only certain ones), rice noodles - no preservatives, his body has learnt to tolerate some of the foodstuffs that he was previously allergic to. He eats spaghetti, bread (not excessively), drinks milk (all within moderation) and he is growing into a lovely lad. Plays sports, wins cups, certificates. If you want to chat further my address is christinee@gpg.gov.za.

Reply to Cj

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement