Posted by: JAL | 2009/03/30

Cow' s milk

My 5 yr old and 2 yr old have allergies to cow' s milk, my daughter had all the necessary tests to prove this, my youngest of 2 yrs has not had the tests but i assume he is too, also he gets a rather runny nose after cow' s milk. I gave my daughter infasoy as a baby then onto Rice milk from woolies as it turns out she is now also allergic to the soya.

Is it ok to give them both esp the 2 yrs old Rice milk? do you think it has enuf calcium? they also eat cheese and the 5y old has yoghurt about 4x a wk - no reaction. My 2 yr old only cheese hates yogh, he does have some brocolli now and then.

Are they meeting their calcium requirements for their respective ages? what else in food form can i give with calcium that they might like? Is there any other nourishing milk alternative i can give them as my 2yr old is a bit too low in weight and i am looking for something nourishing for the winter to get his weight up that will not have cow' s milk or soya and possibly stl have the calcium? any 1 out there know of anything?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Jal
You can never assume that one child has the same allergies as a sibling unless you have had them both tested. You will have to check on the label of the rice milk how much calcium it contains. To be as good as cow's milk, the rice milk would need to contain 119 mg of calcium per 100 ml. I think that you need to have the children's diets assessed by a clinical dietitian as you do not want to deprive either one of vital nutrients while they are growing and developing their bones, teeth, etc. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, so that she/he can do a diet history for each child individually and work out nutritious diets that meet their different needs. The dietitian may recommend the use of a calcium supplement such as MenaCal.7, which also contains vitamin D and vitamin K2.
But please do see the dietitian ASAP
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.