Question
Posted by: Tubby | 2003/02/11

Couscous - healthy or not?

Could you please tell me what the nutritional value of couscous is and is it a healthy? I have just read an article on this website regarding what foods to eat to combat mood swings and fatigue. It was recommended to eat couscous rather than white or brown rice?? I am overweight but doing cardio exercises 4-5x week and trying to follow your lowfat High Carbo eating plan, and couscous looks like something I can eat for a bit of variety (instead of a small baked potato with supper, or even with veggies with lunch?) but I don't want to eat this if it will set me back on my eating plan?
Thank you for ALL your advice - my day isn't complete until I have read all your replies to questions asked

Dear Reader
Thank you so much for your kind words, it makes my day too when I get some positive feedback from my readers. Couscous as eaten in the Middle East consists of unprocessed, crushed wheat cooked up with vegetables, a dish which is high in dietary fibre, but the couscous we buy in SA is made of sifted wheat flour and is probably equivalent to white rice. There is no harm in eating it occasionally for variety, but the brown rice, samp, those baked jacket potatoes and crushed wheat are also good sources of fibre and contain very little fat.
Good luck with your programme.