Question
Posted by: Student? | 2005/12/12

Course.

I am starting a hairdressing course in January. Trouble is, I don't know if I'm cut out for it. I am on strong bipolar medication, and the Topamax makes me forget words in mid sentance. I am very scared of wasting my husbands R 50,000. Do you think that I have a change? I like routine in my life. Otherwise I get very uncomfortable. Should I give it a go? It is something I would like doing.

I understand your question, though its something you would do very much better to discuss with the doc treating your bipolar disorder, as he/she presumably knows you much better. R 50 k sounds like an awful lot for a hairdressing course --- you could spend some time at medical school for that amount ! I'd be curious about why such a course was so very expensive ; i sounds like it could be a rip-off. Is there some way in which they can agree for you to take one term of the course and see how it goes ?
Liza's comments sound very reasonable.

1
Posted by: Liza | 2005/12/12

R50 000 for a hairdressing course? That's a very large amount of money. Enough to get a good start on a pilots' licence - one of the most expensive courses there are!

With bipolar it IS very important to have routine in your life. Without routine I always feel completely lost at sea. Don't know what to do - so I do nothing and that just depresses me. So yes! you need to be doing something. But unless you're going to apprenticed to someplace like Carlton Hair during your course, I wouldn't fork out that amount of cash. There are much cheaper courses out there that are just as good. Even if you first e.g. do a cutting course, then a perming course, then a colouring course etc. At least you will then gradually get into it, without having to remember everything at once, plus you can start working right after your first course. No need to wait to finish everything. It also helps because you'll be applying the knowledge you've gained immediately instead of studying a lot first. So its easier to store in long term memory and remember it later.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza