Posted by: Chaser | 2005/12/01

Couple of ???'s Dr's in Durban + Forums

Can I have a psychiatrists name in Dbn, have been on T now 4 2yrs, but my current shrink, who was recommended by SASOP, apparently consults with Transgender people is of no help 2 me.
I nevertheless have to see him for my script.
I am transitioning FTM.

I also need to confirm whether I need to move to Jhb in order for the psychologists consults to take place with Dr Franko Collin, cos' that's what I was told by my psychologist.

Are there any Transgender forums that take place in Dbn?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTransgender advisor

Hi Chaser

Good to see you here again...

I will start with the question about moving to Jhb. Surely if you want to transition "through" Dr Franco Collin and his team, you will have to move to Gauteng, they are based in Pretoria, not Jhb. He prefere seeing a person on a monthly basis, how regular per month I can't say, as I also think it varies from person to person - but surely monthly - over a period of an estimated two years, I'd say you need to move.

Forums: If you mean support group, where you in person can meet people, I doubt if there is any in Dbn. The only ones I know off, is one in Jhb (mainly attended by MTF) and two in CT, both with mixed attendance.
Online - there is a SA based forum, where people can chat and ask each other questions. It is currently a yahoo group, which means it cant be searched on eg Google.

The name is TGSA and to find the link - go to the Gender DynamiX website: once you are there, click on Resources, and then you will find weblinks. Look under SA Trans links and you will find TGSA. You need to have a Yahoo email address. If you don't have one, quickly create one for yourself, and then become a member at TGSA. Once you have membership, you can chat with the people there. There is over 200 Sa members on that forum, not many FTM though, but I know for a fact there is also a few from Dbn area, so you should be able to get advise to "referals" there.

Why I started with the relocating question - once you on TGSA, try to also be in conversation there about the pro's and con's of moving to Gauteng vs Dbn specialists. I will gladly speak to you again, just gain some more opinions on such a big decition as in relocating.

Hope to hear from you soon again

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: TIna | 2005/12/02

Hi Chaser

Thanks to Liesl for providing a link as I cannot post any links.

Just one correction however, you will not find the TG groups on the search engines as it is for some unknown reason listed under "ADULT" ??? and also look the group Liesl refers to is not TGSA but TGSAfrica. Searching TGSA will render you mostly with the TOUR GUIDE SOUTH AFRICA .... ;)

As far is Franco Collin goes, he and his team are the only I know that provide government subsidy related operations, based in PTA. The path you walk with him is ussually a minimum of two years where he will see you monthly at a rather hefty fee.

There are other connections in JHB too, but this will mean a private "out-of-your-own-pocket" scenario.

As Liesl suggested, it is worth joining the tgsafrica group as much more information are available there. We can also put you into contact with another f2m (he is not very active in the group or on the internet, but available to provide you with further information)


Reply to TIna

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.