Question
Posted by: Wizard | 2005/07/19

Counting stuff

Hi Doc,

Lately I find myself counting objects and maybe adding, multplying and deviding etc.

If I'm in a room I would count the chairs, the people or any kind of objects.

What does this mean? It's not compulsive and it sort of relaxes me.

Could be a mild, obsessive-compulsive personality, obsessive to a degree, but something one may well find comforting and relaxing ; it sort of puts things in order, once they're counted, and gives a faint sense of control even in situations which aren't particularly controllable !

6
Posted by: waterblom | 2005/07/20

How about counting all the letters in a long word.? It takes twice as long reading a book. Knitting is also tiresome if you keep counting the stitches and then there are all the lamp posts along the road, the amount of trees in a street.........oh dearie me. I am so glad I'm not alone.

Reply to waterblom
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/19

Powerpuff is busy checking the pile of text books in boss' office - you guys made her worried that we wont have enough for next week when we take them to the schools

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: VM | 2005/07/19

Since I was a child I have always counted everything, from steps, to cars, to lamp posts etc. Its a problem because if I miss something I freak out, and I always have to devide/multiply, add or subtract to get to either 3 or 8. Say for example I take 183 steps, in my head I add the 1 and 8 together then devide it by three to get my 3. Or I say one time 8 is 8 and 1 time 3 is 3. Otherwise its unlucky and I freak out.

I know - cuckoo cuckoo...

Reply to VM
Posted by: Joanne e | 2005/07/19

And even though you have counted them before, you count them again and again????

Reply to Joanne e

Yip - me too!!! I lie in bed and count the slats on my bedroom cupboard, curtain rings etc. etc......

Posted by: Powerpuff | 2005/07/19

Now I am worried - I count the men, women, children - work out the ratios then count black shirts, red shirts etc - guess I am bored?

Reply to Powerpuff