Question
Posted by: Maureen | 2004/10/21

Counting Kilojules

I am 56 years old and weigh 70kgs and am 1.64m tall.
How many kilojules should I work to in a day to lose some weight, would like to lose about 8kgs.
I have been on a "diet" for 3 weeks now and haven't lost at all.
When I mean diet, I have youghurt and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch with some fat reduced cheese and salad in the evening with either tin salmon, fish, chicken or meat.
Many thanks

Dear Maureen
Your present BMI of 26 is above the normal range (18-25), so it would be a good idea to reduce your weight and 8 kg sounds like an excellent goal. Basically you need to reduce your energy intake down to 6300 kJ a day. Your diet sounds fine, except that I think you need to include some unprocessed, unsifted grains and cereals, which are low in energy and won't cause weight gain. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet, compare with what you are eating and make the necessary adjustments. All diets give better results if combined with regular exercise, so start doing 30 min of exercise a day (e.g. brisk walking, cycling, swimming, skipping, etc).

3
Posted by: maureen | 2004/10/22

Dear Jani
Many thanks fo reply - I have considered Weighless in the past maybe it is a good idea.
Maureen

Reply to maureen
Posted by: jackie | 2004/10/22

I am 1,69 tall and weight 57kg, Im 29. How much kilojoules should I take in on a daily basis?

Reply to jackie
Posted by: Jani | 2004/10/21

Dear Maureen,

I'm with Weighless, and I can honestly say that this is a diet that WORKS. You can't really call it a diet, it's a way of eating that you must make a lifestyle.
- You don't starve yourself. You see Maureen, when you starve yourself, or do not eat regularly, your body thinks there is not food to eat, that it is starvation, because it gets so little food. so when you do eat, your body stores this food (and you gain weight), because your body thinks that it must store this food, just in case it doesn't get food (it's starvation remember). That's why it's so important not to skip a meal, and to rather eat 6 smaller meals a day.
- You get to eat almost anything you want, not like cake and sweets and all that, but you can choose whether you want fish or meat or chicken/ potato or bread or pasta...etc. you can choose what vegetables you want.
- You have to weigh your food, but that isn't so bad, really, it's actually nothing. If you keep a scale on your kitchen table, there's no hassle.

Maureen, I'm 18 years old, and it works for me.
My mother is 46 and it works for her.
There are women 60+ and it works for them.
There are women 80+, and it works for them.

If you keep to the rules (and it is much better than your current diet program), you WILL lose weigh. I promise.

Jani

Reply to Jani