Question
Posted by: Angelduste | 2007/02/27

Could this be postpartum depression?

Hello there.....
I dont know if this is because i do have this disorder or whether im just being paranoid...
Ever since and b4 i fell pregnant i had had the nightmare mother in law that did not give 2 hoots about me.. after i had the baby , all she does is meddle in my life, doesnt not respect my privacy and has found a reason to come visit me the baby.. yet she had 0 interest when i told her i was pregnant. My hubby is constantly trying to please her.. so it leaves very little time for me or the baby and this has become a huge problem in our rel. when i talk to him about it.. all we do is argue... i am irritable with him constantly.. monday to sunday its as though i cant stand him anymore as much as i cant stand his mother.. she is always trying to tell me how to take care of the baby liek i dont know how... or whatthe hell im doing..she has never said thank you to me.. or spent more than R30 on anything for me in fact i cant count the things she has bought me.. and trust me its under 5. i find that i am constantly upset, the minute i hear she is coming over i wantt o freak.. she visits or wnats us to go there.. at least 2 times every week and my hubby see's o problem.. she has another 24yr old son with ADD and OCD dyxlexic and all he does his stay at home she refuses to do anything to help him.. she just keeps him happy by sending him to movies etc and thats all he wil do for the rest of his life.. whilst everyone else is getting along.. my fathe rin law is disabled.. cant walk is reduced to wheelchair and he too cant get around unless he is carried etc..i just cant understand how a professional nurse liek herself cannot be bothered about fixing her immediate family, but thinks she has power to change mine..im sure u can tell how this is affecting me.. my hubby and i dont even have an intimate rel anymore.. cos he says i am miserable and make him miserable... and most of the time.. i feel exaclty liek that miserable.... what is causing this.. i have tried to get along some dayd without letting her gett o me.. but she always finds a way

Seek mariage counselling, eg through FAMSA. Sounds like mother-in-law has a pretty miserable life, with a disabled son and husband. But as a nurse, it sounds like she's not handling their problems, or her own, well. Don't give her power over you --- work with your husband in counselling to get your own relationship strong and supportive