Question
Posted by: Vivica | 2003/01/16

Could supplement harm me ttc?

Hi Doc,
I am trying to conceive and have been off the pill since September last year. I know it is very important to take iron and folic acid supplements while trying to conceive and during pregnancy. I was wondering if it would be harmful to take a supplement such as " Vital Multitime for Pregnant Women" which contains the neccessary dosage of iron and folic acid. Would this be ok to take while conceiving? Or is the daily dosage too much for non-pregnant women? On the box it does advise to take 2 tablets daily, but I have been only taking 1. The reason I started taking them was because I couldn't find any other supplement containg folic acid for non-pregnant women at my local supermarket and pharmacy.

Thank you for your advise.

Dear Vivica
Check on the bottle and if the iron and folic acid contents don't exceed the USA RDAs of 15 mg and 200 microgram per dosage or per tablet then you can take 1 every second day seeing that you also obtain some iron from food sources. I can't understand that your pharmacy did not have any folic acid tablets on their own - they are not at all expensive. Just check with the pharmacist as they may have to dispense them for you. The folic acid should be taken as about 200 microgram every day or if the tablets contain 400 microgram, then 1 tablet every 2nd day.
It is also a good idea to take an omega-3 supplement like Salmon oil capsules during conception and pregnancy and lactation to ensure the best brain, eye and nervous system development for your baby. If you eat margarine and salad oils then you don't need to supplement omega-6, as most western diets have a high omega-6 content, while being deficient in omega-3.