Question
Posted by: Demi | 2007/06/11

could i be infertile?

HI,

I am 33 yrs old, and have never ever menstruated. I have had many tests and medical examinations, and have been on various treatments as well as the pill to stimulate a monthly cycle, but to no avail. i have had 2 laproscopies, and 2 hysteroscopies, and was last advised that i should have a hysterectomy, but was not councelled as to why this would be the best solution. I do get abdominal pain from time to time, which can be quite debilitating, and have had various diagnosis's given, such as endemetriosis, however the last doctor said, there was no sign of any endemetriosis. I have never needed to use contraception, and have never fallen pregnant! I am DESPERATE TO CONCEIVE as is my boyfriend. Please could one advise on what my options are. I have had artificial insemination several times, but also to no avail! i have tried every method in the book, such as lying with my feet at a 90 degree angle after intercourse to allow for the flow of semen to be completely absorbed, but also to no avail! Emotionally this has taken its toll on me. I am not on the pill and never have been other than for medical related reasons, in terms of this problem. Physically, nothing out of the ordinary has been brought to my attention, and quite frankly i have never been given a consclusive explanation as to why i dont ovulate, or menstruate, and why i cant fall pregnant. Pls help.

Primary amenorrhoea(= no period) is what you are describing for which there are a number of causes. Your problem is dire.I suggest if you are not being counselled to your satisfaction and are feeling confused about your diagnosis, your gynm needs to send you to a gyn who subspecialises in endocrine and related problems as you have fairly urgently.

4
Posted by: demi | 2007/06/11

yes i am in jhb, i will certainly seek the assistance of a medfem clinic. thank you!
the reason for the suggestion of a hysterectomy, was never made completely clear to me, however, it was said that i would be better off, as my body is not functioning at full capacity and it seemed all the treatment they gave me was not having any effect.

i did give it all a rest for a few years, for my own sanity, and from a financial aspect, and decided to forfill my maternal need by adopting a little girl however, i am ready to pursue further investigations now, if it means i could save my relationship and have a biological child of my own.

thank you for all your help and concern!

Reply to demi
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/11

I am really sorry to hear this. But please, please see a fertility specialist so he can properly diagnose what the problem is. I cant understand why the doctors havent diagnosed what the problem is.With all the surgeries you have had they must have picked up on something? Why did they say u must have a hysterectomy? Thats a bit drastic? What area are you in? If in Jhb phone Vitalab or Medfem fertility clinics and get an appt and get to the bottom of this. It might be expensive but for your sanity I would suggest you do this!

As far as I know you always have a period after ovulating, I could be mistaken though.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Demi | 2007/06/11

thanks for the response,

i have never had a periof ever, so it was very difficult to assess whether i had ovuluated at any stage. I dont get any symptoms or anything that would suggest that i ovulate. The AI, was my very own desperate attempt to prove the natural motion of nature wrong, and i tried to convince myself that with or without a period i would fall pregnant, and on top of that i was also told that although not common, it is possible to ovulate even when a period does not occur, which is something i hung onto desperately and hoped that this woudl be the case for me! I just get this feeling that something is desperately wrong, and yet not one doctor can clarify it for me it seems! and it is putting a great amount of strain on my current relationship.

Reply to Demi
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/11

I am really sorry. You need to see a doctor or fertility specialist to get the answer to your problem, do not rest until you get an answer! Dont let doctors walk all over you, you need to demand answers!!

If you had AI then are you sure you did ovulate? If you did ovulate then you would have had a period because you always get a period after ovulation. Were you scanned to check for ovulation during your AI cycle?

Reply to Dee