Posted by: Jay | 2008/08/06

Coughing up clear salty liquid - a lot

After 2 doctor visits &  2 doses of antibiotics in the last three months my husband is still coughing.
He describes it as feeling as if a tap is on in his lungs and is coughing up " salty water" . No actual ' phlegm'  or colour. It' s worse at night (that' s why I' m typing at 2:30am!). Lots of wheezing a crackling, also especially at night.
I don' t know why the GP didn' t send him for x-rays - Any advice would be so appreciated.
(We both gave up smoking just over 10 months ago but I don' t think there' s any sinister connection)

Hi Jay
I agree with you, if the cough is persistent one should do at least a Chest x/ray, blood tests to see if there is still underlying infection and an IGE level to check for allergies, and send away some of the fluid he is couging up to the lab for MCS. He may have an asthmatic condition post infection and if so, a lung function test will show this.