Question
Posted by: Jana C | 2019/12/15

Coughing for weeks

The last 2 years around winter when the heat comes on, I start coughing. The worst fits occur when I go from laying down to upright and vice versa. Once it calms I am able to sleep through the night without a problem. At any time when I move, I cough. I have lots of mucus. No other symptoms except headache from coughing and now muscle pain in ribs and around my heart which hurts when I cough and is sore to touch. Doctor says lungs are clear, neb treatment helps slightly. Last year I coughed for 3 months. So far this year it's three weeks. ENT did a scope last year said cut back on caffiene after 2 clear chest xrays.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/01/08

There are many causes of chronic cough.  However, listening to your history I strongly suspect that you have occult post-nasal drip.  The solution would likely be a trial of antihistamines and steroid nasal sprays.  You should visit your primary care doctor to give you a trial of treatment.  Of course it could be various other causes of chronic cough but this seems a likely possibility.