Question
Posted by: LOVING SISTER | 2005/12/03

COUGHING BLOOD

MY 30 YEAR OLD BROTHER LIVES WITH ME.HE IS A ALCHOLIC.HE DRINKS DAILY.LATELY HE HAS HAD A TERRIBLE COUGH,HE ALSO COUGHS UP BLOOD.IS THIS TB.HE REFUSES TO GO TO A DOCTOR AND I AN WORRIED BECAUSE I HAVE SMALL KIDS.

Dear Loving sister,
Alcoholics can cough up blood because of distended veins in their esophagus. Look for signs of TB: Weight loss, night sweats, coughing especially in the mornings and shortness of breath. If he does not want to visit a doctor, ask him to at least go for a screening Chest X/ray to exclude TB. Tell him that you worry about your kids. It is quite dangerous for them to live in the same house as a TB patient!

1
Posted by: loving sister | 2005/12/06

he hardly eats is that not a sign of tb.he has not lost any weight ,he only coughs in the night.it sounds almost as if he is chocking in his sleep

Reply to loving sister