Posted by: LWV | 2008/07/21

I am coughing for the past 5 weeks. I have tried over the counter stuff which did not really help. I went to see my dr last week and he gave me antibiotics to drink (avelon 400) and also a cough medicine mix (i think one of the ingredients were celestimine...). He was sure that the cough is caused by post nasal drip. The day I started my medicine I coughed so much that I couldn' t walk the next morning the way I damaged my ribs, but at least the coughing was under control. I used antiflamitary medicine for the muscle pain, because it was really bad - it is much better now! Two days after I started the medicine the cough started again and today I feel slightly feverish from time to time and I have got one antibiotic tablet left...not a good sign to me?!
I am a factory manager, walking in the factory everyday - could it be that I might have picked up some TB? On the other hand I don' t experience the effects of TB ie night sweats etc. At the moment it feels like the early stages of getting a flue - not coughing to much though, but still there.
As a norm I don' t have any reflux when I cough or heartburn - just when it is one of those out-of-control coughs that comes now and then...

Shall I ask my dr to send me for x-rays or what can I do? Please help - it is really getting embarrising at times.

Hallo LWV
One of the indications for a TB screening x/ray is a persistent cough for more than 4 weeks on medication. If you work in an environment where you could have a risk, I would advise you to rather go for a screening X/ray. Your doctor needs to re-evaluate you anyway as you may need a second course of antibiotics or treatment for a atypical bacteria. If you are feverish and if the phlegm is yellow or green it may be a good idea to send a sample to the lab for microscopy and culture to identify the germ.