Question
Posted by: Holly | 2018/12/14

Cough causing pain in arm

I have had a cough for around 5 days now and recently when I have been coughing I am experiencing a sharp/aching pain down my right arm that travels to my hand. I also have upper back pain directly behind my chest area which I believe is a result of the cough as my chest feels bruised. Is the pain in my arm a cause for concern? I haven't experienced anything like this before. Thanks

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/01/09

Having pain running down your right arm could have several causes, if it persists you need a chest x-ray to make sure you don't have lung collapse. Other possibilities could include a muscle strain or some problem with the nerve plexus supplying the arm. If it persists you may need to see a doctor.