Question
Posted by: Nic | 2007/06/20

Cotinine test

Being a smoker i made the decision to quit. I hav recently taken out an insurance policy that requires me to go for a cotinine elisa test. I have not had a cigarette for two weeks. How possible is it that cotinine levels of a smoker will be detected in my blood

Dear Nic
It usually takes about 7-10 days before the cotinine test becomes negative if you stop smoking.

1
Posted by: Hello! | 2007/06/20

Chances are very good unfortunately. There is a minimum level allowed in the bloodstream which can determine passive smoking as opposed to active smoking. I think they ask in the questionaire if you have smoked for the past 6 months or one year, not sure, and they can pick it up even if you have quit for some time. Maybe you should wait with the policy untill you have been nicotine free for six months? Or perhaps they could re-evaluate your policy in six months or one year. If they pick up the nicotine in your blood, you will pay almost double the premium. Ask yourself if you need it right away, or if you can wait another 6 to 12 months.

Reply to Hello!