Posted by: reines | 2007/05/24

Costochondritis - Chest pain

My husband has experienced chest pains for the last couple of years, has done all the test that one could possibly think of - Bavarium sonar, ECG, Angiogram, Cheast sonars, Blood test, HIDA gram etc. About 2 years ago he suddenly got this pain on the right side under his rib cage, the pain is sometimes so severe that he needs to go and lie down, he has been to many specialists with no results or sign of relief. It was mentioned to him about a month ago that the gal bladder was the problem, he had xrays, ultra sounds, gall bladder tests, liver tests...all to no avail. The last specialist ordered some blood test, phoned me back yesterday saying that he needs to go and see a doctor specialising in arthiritis since his uric acid is high. Surely this cannot be causing the constant chest and rib cage pain? I did some research on the internet and came across Costochondritis, and I'm almost sure that his symptoms are the same.
How can one be tested or examined for this? Is there any anti inflammatory's that one can use for this that doesn't need a prescription?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Reines
Costochondritis normally is not so sore that you have to go and lie down. High uric acid would rather affect the small joints like fingers, toes, knees and shoulders first. This type of pain can also be caused by referred pain from a nerve pinched at the back or the covering of the liver stretching due to high blood pressure in the liver. I know that you are feeling very discouraged at the moment, but sometimes we just have to exclude all the possible causes before getting to the bottom of the problem. I'll strongly suggest that you see a good GP to gather all the different tests and look at the big picture - specialists tend to concentrate more on their area of expertise.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.