Question
Posted by: Estelle | 2008/01/07

Costochondritis

My mom has been living with constant (mostly night) pain in rib section which sometimes would move into her shoulder and arm. She's 53 years old. Doctors and specialists have diagnosed and prescribed a million different medicines with no great results. The last doctor (7/1/2008) referred her to another specialist with a referral note mentioning costochondritis. This seems match all symptoms. What treatment for costochondritis and can this be cured? What would be the cause of this? Please help.

Hallo Estelle
Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone. It causes sharp pain in the joint where your ribs and breastbone are joined. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions. Treatment usually consists of anti-inflammatories or muscle relaxants, and in persistant cases of pain - tricyclic antidepressants.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Lindi | 2008/06/09

I just need to find out my dr said that I have Costochondritis and gave me brufen and stilpane to take but the pain is not better it gets worse with time and go's to the side of my chest / breast and I do get pain in my under the top of my left arm I don't know if I have to go to the dr again or not some times i feel dizzie even when sitting down

Reply to Lindi