Question
Posted by: Uninformed | 2004/12/04

cost to have a circumcision done

Hi,I would like to know how much it would cost to have a circumcision done. I want to have it done, but would like an idea about what to expect in terms of cost beforehand. I'm 23 and don't have medical aid and cant afford to spend a fortune. Also, would it be done at an urologist's office and would a stay in hospital be needed? Can one go directly to the urologist or must one go through a GP? Thanks.

First my speech:

The smooth, rounded tip of the penis is called the glans penis. It is a sensitive part of the penis and an important source of sexual arousal. It is partially covered by the foreskin or prepuce, a retractable fold of skin that is removed by circumcision in 60 percent of newborn males in the United States. Outside of the U.S., only 15 percent of the world's population practices circumcision. The procedure is usually performed for religious (Jewish and Islamic), cosmetic reasons, although as a medical procedure, it has both advantages and risks.

Critics of circumcision point to its disadvantages, which include pain, the possibility of irritation of the penis itself, and the risk of complications and surgical errors. Proponents of circumcision advocate it most notably for cleanliness — although careful attention to cleaning the foreskin in the modern world should alleviate any potential hygienic problems. One of the biggest reasons for circumcision in the U.S. is cosmetic — so a boy looks like his father. In terms of health, circumcised males are less likely to develop cancer of the penis, an incredibly rare disease in the U.S. There is some evidence that circumcision may help reduce the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), although not enough research has been done to be conclusive.

Circumcision as an adult is a much more difficult operation than on an infant. Given the fact that the health benefits are negligible and/or unclear, it's highly recommend that you speak with a health care provider before making up your mind about the procedure. The doctor can then discuss price and costs with you.