Question
Posted by: Daisy | 2006/04/12

Cost of surgery for hip dysplasia

I have a young dog whose hips show up as being very bad on X-rays. He is a lab x great dane type of dog - adopted - and is 6 months old.

I believe that there are different surgeries available to help this and that they are often quite successsful but also that they are very expensive.

Does anyone know what the cost of surgery is likely to be?

The three types are:
1.Cutting off the 'ball' part of the femur so that a false joint develops
2. Realigning the hip and leg joints by cutting and repositioning the bones using metal plates and
3. Total replacement of the joints with artificial ones.

I would love to hear from people who have experience with these procedures because I am worried sick about my dog and about what kind of future he may have.

There are vast differences between these different types of surgeries, and therefore the cost also vastly different. Also, specific surgery must be applied to specific patients. It is not simply a question of cost. The best is to speak your veterinarian, or request referral to a specialist surgeon in your area for specific advice. Only once the decision as to what is the best or possible types of surgery for your patient, can the subject of cost really be discussed.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/04/13

You will need to see a specialist about this, and ask what price he/she charges. For a dog that young, the pelvic re-section is the best option. Success of any of the operations depends on the aftercare given by the owner, but if you follow instructions they have a good quality of life.

Reply to Acineth