Posted by: Bagga | 2008/10/07

Cost of a baby?

Hi I' m 22 and there is a very real possibility my girlfriend is pregnant, I' m comfortable with this idea and will support her through it all, I earn a good salary and own my own business but I just want to know what to expect when it comes to monthly budgeting for a new baby? initial costs and thereafter, I understand it varies, but a basic idea would be great seeing as I' m walking in the dark right now.

Kind Regards...

Hallo Bagga
This is a difficult one for me to answer, my "baby" is 15 years old!
Things you need to look at are:
Nappies (biggest cost - early on they can go through 15 a day or more)
Shampoo, soap, Bum cream, lotion, nappyliners, wet wipes
clothes - they can need dressing 3 times a day so you need at least 5-6 sets of clothes ( which they grow out of at a fenomenal rate - hopefully you will have grandma's and aunties to help provide this)
a pram
A crib
linen for both
Powdered milk and bottles if mum is not going to breastfeed ( will save you a lot if she does - and is much better for baby)

See for a list

Any new moms out there that can give Bagga an estimate in rand and cents??

Posted by: Minaeza | 2008/10/08

Well bagga

since you say you eanr enough to take care of your kid then i guess there is nothing to worry about, if you have brothers or sisters living next or with you then you can estimate how much they spend for their kids,

somehow you seem too imature oh well you are 22 and very young, just think of it as you will have a humn being comming into the world and will support it, no one can tell how mush you can spend, prices go up everyday you will start knowing this things when the baby is born,

Reply to Minaeza
Posted by: Lou | 2008/10/08

Hi Bagga

Its a pretty expensive business - initially your costs are going to revovle around your girlfriends check ups at the Ob/Gyn. The actual birth if she is not on a medical aid will be anything from R6000 (natural birth with no complications) and R25 000 (Caeser) (These figures are an average - I had my baby 8 years ago!)

Once the baby arrives, it is the daily cost of nappies and once the Mom has stopped breast feeding, the cost of formula. The baby clothes and prams and car chair etc etc. You need to ensure you put the Baby on to your or the moms medical aid as soon as he/she is born, as paediatrician check ups are a regular necessity - these can be pretty costly. You will also need to put the little one into day care once the mom goes back to work (if she does). That alone will cost around R1200 per month (depending on the area/creche etc).
Its hard to estimate, but I' d say you need to look at around R2000 per month for the little one. (And this goes up the older they get!!)

Reply to Lou
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/08

Hey Bagga,
I am not a new mom, so I really dont have a clue, but you can look online at the pick n pay website to give you an idea of the cost of nappies etc. Seems like the cheapest nappies is about R1,25 per nappy up to about R4. So +- R600-R1860 per month for nappies (if you work on 15 a day)... All the best!

Reply to Ruby