Posted by: Worried | 2008/10/15

Cortisone injection when 32 weeks

It has been desided yesterday by my doctor that my baby will be born at 36 weeks by c-section. The reason is that the baby is rather big (i am now 29 weeks and hardly have space left for baby and i am rather small build) i had a still born baby at 34 weeks before this pregnancy and they could not find any medical explanation for his death. He told me he will be injecting the cortisone in 3 weeks when i am 32 weeks pregnant to make sure the baby' s lungs are fully developed when he is born 4 weeks later. Will this have any negative effects on the baby? Is the injection not too long before the time and will it still be affective if it is given 4 weeks before the time? I am sorry i am asking in circles but i am really concerned and scared that it would do more harm than good.

It will not harm the baby. I presume that it is being given at 32 weeks in case anything happens at that time that might require urgent delivery. The timing is a bit of a toss up between missing the boat and giving it too early. Discuss this with your doctor.