Posted by: Cranberry | 2008/08/26

Cortisone Injection No. 2

I asked you about the cortisone injection a while ago. Thanks for the great answer.

However, I was wondering if you could write an article on it or answer my detailed question here. What exactly does one cortisone injection do to the body (temp and perm)? I am sure I am not the only one wondering.

I am battling since I had it, (I hear your immunity goes right down, but can that be from just one)?

Thanks very much,

Dear Cranberry
Thank you for your kind words. Generally speaking, only one injection of cortisone should not have such long-lasting effects. Repeated injections or high oral doses can cause rather pronounced effects particularly if the patient is sensitive to cortisone. Studies have shown that during periods of stress when the human body produces cortisol (a hormone similar to cortisone), then this can lower immunity. For example athletes who engage in very strenuous exercise which stresses the body (e.g. marathons) tend to be more susceptible to respiratory infections. If you happen to be sensitive to cortisone then the injection could lower your immunity. However other factors such as other stresses (I seem to remember that you said that you suffer from asthma or am I wrong?) can also play a role.
Do get plenty of rest, eat a balanced diet and if necessary take a vitamin and mineral supplement to boost your immunity.
Hope you feel better soon.