Question
Posted by: anon | 2012/03/13

Cortisone

Good day

Could you please tell me how long it takes for prednisone to start having an effect (3x5mg tabs twice a day) - i.e when should I start noticing a difference and how long after stopping it does the side effects like water retention wear off.

Lastly, in the doses described above, for 3 days, do you wean off or just stop?

Prednisone's action should start within 20 minutes after taking the first dose and can last up to 24 hours. If you are using a short course (3 days), you can stop taking it, without weaning it off.